April 14, 2009

"Around the Way Girl" -- LL Cool J



Artist: LL Cool J
Album: Mama Said Knock You Out
Song: Around the Way Girl

"Silky, milky her smile is like sunshine
That's why I had to dedicate at least one rhyme
To all the cuties in the neighborhood
Cause if I didn't tell you then another brother would
Your sweet like sugar with your gangster talk
Want to eat you like a cookie when I see you walk
With your rayon, silk or maybe even denim
It really doesn't matter as long as you're in them
You can break hearts and manipulate minds
Or surrender act tender be gentle and kind
You always know what to say and do
Cold flip when you think your man is playing you
Not cheap but petty
You're ready for loving
You're real independent so your parents be bugging
But if you ever need a place to stay
(Oooh you love me)
Come around my way"

What can I say? This verse reminds me of playing Super Nintendo all night and waking up at my Uncle's house at 2:00 am and this song being on KS107.5. Good times.

Too, LL was a pioneer in hip-hop, but not in the traditional way that we think. LL was one of the few that had high regard for women, not only off the record, but most importantly in his music. Think back to the late 80's and early 90's and remember the controversy hip-hop caused because of the misogynistic lyrics that most rappers spit. Even today women are regarded as objects rather than real human beings. So let's laud LL for giving the ladies their due with this classic verse.

No comments: