July 04, 2011

Songs in A Minor (10th Anniversary)

Wow.  Where has the time gone?  Ten years ago this past week, Alicia Keys released her debut album, Songs in A Minor.  The album was an instant classic and is regarded by many to be one of the greatest albums in music history.  I would agree with many.  I remember the night I bought Songs in A Minor.  It's funny, I just went to the store and forgot my wallet, but I can pretty much remember the moments that I bought all of my favorite albums (and that's a lot).  I purchased Ms. Keys' debut album at a K-Mart in Raton, NM.  It was the summer after my freshman year of high school and R&B music was basically dead at that point.  There was a lot of Jay-Z (weak, poppy Jay-Z) and Ja Rule and circus acts like him.  So hearing Songs in A Minor was a highlight of that time period.  "Fallin" was the debut single off the album and was the first time I heard so much soul in my lifetime. 

Needless to say, Alicia Keys has come a long way from that debut album.  iTunes has re-released the album and for those that need a little kick in the musical rear end, I would HIGHLY suggest investing in the album.  If not on iTunes, peep your local music stores for a used copy.  Believe me, it was worth it then and it's worth it now...the beginning of greatness. 

No comments: